It’s been a while since I put anything new on my shop, and I’ve been meaning to for a while, but the holidays are a bad time to start prototyping anything, and so this doll has been about two months in the making. You will see right off that she is primarily a ballerina doll, although with different clothing, she wouldn’t necessarily have to be.
Although this doll may not look very different, (just looking at her face) she really differs in several significant ways. For one, she is the first pattern I drafted myself (almost from scratch) She is taller and thinner, has pointed, rather than flat feet and is made entirely from one piece ie, I didn’t have to sew arms and legs on seperately. I was looking for a doll with a more defined waist since my other dolls are so square in shape and sometimes their clothing doesn’t stay on very well. So I gave her a waist, and I also gave her a wire frame- something that gave me quite a lot of trouble, and needed a lot of tweaking. This is also the first time I have attempted yarn for hair. Since she is more delicate looking, I thought she needed something finer than the jersey strips I usually use. And though I like how it looks, I miss the stretch that the jersey gives me since stretchy hair is much easier to style.
I had lots of fun with the clothing, both in sewing the beads and flowers, and in adding as many layers of tulle as possible.
Here she is, crossing her ankles like a lady.
Now she will demonstrate various poses to display her flexible wire frame.
Her bendable knees also allow her to sit quite nicely when she is tired of dancing and decides to let her hair down.
And speaking of hair- here are a few closeups, both up and down.
So now we have arrived at the part where I ask for feedback and suggestions. I have to laugh at myself because I keep hunting for something that might be a little less time consuming, and end up making something more complicated. Oh well. Let me know what you think! Thanks!